Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRIZO / Coldfinger Technology 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wartono

Chemical
Jul 16, 2002
ID
Dear friends,
I want to know the different process of glycol regeneration using Drizo technology from the conventional one.

I appreciate it if you can give me the benefits of using Drizo, from the point of view investation, operation and maintenance.

Thanks,
Wartono

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Wartono,
Drizo Technology utilises heavier fractions, especially BTEX compounds from the vent/off gases generated from the reboiler/ stripping column of the glycol regeneration plant for further purification of lean glycol. Thus instead of using fuel gas as the stripping medium in the lean glycol stripper, Drizo uses the superheated 'solvent' generated by condensing & separating the vent/off gases generated from the reboiler/ stripping column.
The main advantages are,
1)Significant reduction in flaring of environmentally damaging BTEX compounds.
2)Recovery of heavier fractions, which is then spiked back to product lines, increasing production efficiency.
From investment, operations and maintenance point of view, in the short term they all go up significantly owing to the added costs of solvent recovery & treatment section including heat exchanger(condenser), solvent-water separator vessel, filters, solvent pumps & superheater etc.

But then environmental benefits in the long run are compelling, we have only one EARTH don't we?

Regards,
Vinay Kulkarni

I personally would not install a coldfinger unit having had experience of the start up of the coldfinger element actually increased the water concentration in the dry glycol and hence producing a wetter gas. I would stick to stripping gas instead of coldfinger. But these are my views I am sure that the license holder thinks differently.

My tuppence worth:

I've never worked on a coldfinger unit (or even near one) but I've not heard anything postive about them (other than from vendors of course).

Can anyone throw some light on solvent circulation in Drizo? We seem to be having unending problems with solvent/ higher ends collecting in lean glycol, also can't seem to have a continuous circulation for more than few hours before the solvent lands in the lean glycol instead of the solvent circuit.

Dear all,

Thanks Norsey for your information.

I had asked articles to Prosernat and I know that beside of the low emmision strong point, Drizo has a different range of water dew point. Drizo should be compared to Mol Sieve. Below is my simple understanding in regard to Glycol concentration:
Without stripping : 98.5 %
Sparging: 99.5%
Stripping: 99.7%
Drizo: 99.97%

So, the water dew point or gas water content in treated gas will determined a selection of glycol regeneration process.

Does anyone do a HYSYS simulation using a DRIZO Concept? I appreciate it if you would share your experiences with us.

Thanks,
Wartono

Drizo is proprietary information (of Proser) so I do not think that Hysys models are available

Also (I have said this before) previous versions of Hysys did not have the correct thermo properties for TEG. This may have been remedied but I have not yet had it confirmed.

Not sure on the version numbers but I know that it was the latest version in April 2001.

As for the magnitude of the errors, I am not sure but do/did know that it was sufficient to undersize heat exchangers.

Sorry for not being able to fully answer your questions. I guess that Hyprotech helpdesk will be able to answer your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back