Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DROP MANHOLES 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanical3010

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2010
SA
Is there a preference for outside drop versus inside drop and if it is the outside drop can the PVC vertical pipe be encased in concrete instead of backfilling around it with gravel? I have seen the pipe encased in codes and details of many localities and yet one manufacturer is clearly prohibiting it!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the drop manholes there are some other pipes that terminate in the manhole but which are not provided with the drop because they are simply waste lines (without solids) such as the drain from flower boxes that are at the entrance of the building. Is it Ok to drain them directly from the flower boxes to the manholes and that too without the drop pipe. The pipe will enter the manhole near the manhole cover and the waste will fall from that height. Furthermore, is it acceptable for the waste from flower boxes to be connected to the manholes directly without routing the waste through a gulley trap that serves the building waste is in close viccinity?

"Flower boxes" as in landscape boxes that receive rain water? If so, you typically don't connect those to sanitary at all, they go to storm drain.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

I agree with beej67 on the flower boxes. For pipejacked lines and manholes which have been installed by shaft sinking I see internal drops, which seems to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back