Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drumming up more work 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasboater

Structural
Jan 3, 2007
US
OK I read the other post, but I want to make this a little more specific. I am just starting out on my own consulting. I am predominantly interested in steel and reinforced concrete. So I was looking at getting more into metal studs.

1)How do you go after this market?
2)Who do you want to talk to? While I know the answer is everyone.
3)Should I spend more time approaching the Architects or the contractors?

I have done a lot of cold calling, emailing, and snail mail and I haven’t had much luck.

I have access to a lot of different jobs with online bid forums such as read. The problem on those bid forums are typically set up for complete systems as the designer of a stud wall you are only offering a partial system so there is no way of bidding.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Get a professionally built & very detailed website that is optimized for your keywords. (website with bulletins will not do.) Then set up a Google Adwords account.

2) Make presentations in the local AIA and General Contractors meetings.

3) Yes, but it is better clients find you than you approach them.

Maybe you can also approach the stud manufacturers, pass on your business cards and they may be able to refer you.

Your clients will often decide what areas you specialize in. When we started, we wanted to do geotechnical investigations only, but now nearly a third of our work is in earth retention and solar foundation projects. So take everything that you are comfortable with for now and later see what niche areas you end up with.

Item 1) will get your phone ringing. Try it.

How much research did you do before coming up with your business plan and deciding to go it alone?

I am sure others will give good advice on websites, trade shows, writing technical papers, word of mouth, networking etc but the simple fact remains that if the demand is not out there you are doomed to failure from the start.

One of the biggest mistakes start out entrepreneurs make is picking something they want to do at a price that they need to make and assuming that a market is out there, when it may not be. Make sure you are not falling into that trap.

I just got my website up the way I wanted it. I am starting my first adwords campaign. I was just going to start out with a $100.00 just to get a feel with the way it works?? This is new for me. I did however spend some time and money on my website.

My mistake with adwords was that I didn't filter out certain keywords. Most people hitting were looking for jobs. They were also outside the local area where the words were showing up.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

DTOREC

What is SEO?

brandonbw

I am going through my adwords account and cannot find how to exclude or filter out words, Obviously I can find how include them. I got a call from google when I started my adwords account, I think I will just call them back and get guidance.

Go to keywords, and at the bottom they are called negative keywords.

I used,
career, careers, degree, employment, intern, internship, internships, job, jobs, salary, software, work

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

SEO - search engine optimizer

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back