Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dry sump "pictures" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amorrison

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2000
CA

I have read several text descriptions of dry sump operation but never seen a diagram/picture.
Anybody know where I can find one?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what you're designing, but Honda came up with an innovative design for lubricating their little weedeater four stroke ( not two stroke) singles. It consists of a seperate cylindrical oil tank mounted behind the crankcase, concentric with the shaft.
The shaft has an agitator attached which whips the oil into a fine mist, this mist being transferred to the big end bearings, camshaft etc. via a one way valve system, which in effect uses the piston/crankcase as a pump, the oil is finally deposited back in the tank through the other one way valve.
This engine can be used in any orientation ( using a pumper carb), however it normally can only be used on a single cylinder, - or a boxer twin, as a normal four cylinder layout etc. would cancel out the pumping effect of the pistons.
It could possibly be adapted for multi cylinder engines, (say an inline four,if the cranks possibly if the cranks were partitioned.

There is an animation of this system somewhere on the net, but I can't find it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back