Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drylock on CMU basement walls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben29

Structural
Aug 7, 2014
US
I have lived in my house for 11 years. There are 2 areas on the basement wall where we have always had efflorescence on the CMU. One area is where the wall turns the corner. The other area is right below where the steel beam bears on the wall.

For a completely unrelated reason, about 5 years ago, I had to dig up the grade around the one side of the house. I found that there was alot of A57 stone along the perimeter wall (as there should be). I found that in the one area where we ALWAYS get the efflorescence (below the steel beam bearing), we had a 2ft x 2xft column of clay soil right up against the CMU wall. You can kindof see the clay in the second photo below (where the shovel is standing).

I do not know why there was clay in that spot, but there was A57 stone everywhere else. I surmise that the reason this little portion of wall is wet is because the clay soil is touching it there.

Thoughts?

I had a contractor in my basement today (completely unrelated reason) and he pointed out the wet spot and suggested that I put (2) coats of Drylock on the walls in that room. I don't love the idea of drylock because I feel it traps the moisture in the CMU block and causes it to deteriorate quicker. Thoughts on that?

We do not plan on moving anytime soon, but I wonder if painting the walls with Drylock would prevent a home inspector from flagging it.

20231201_121812_xhztsl.jpg

2020-05-02_15.28.59_sfgevo.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Removal of the clay backfill area and replacement with a free-draining material (A57 stone is one such) would be my recommendation. After the wall has dried, the staining on the CMU can be 'washed' off, over a period of time.
Assuming the staining in the basement corner is adjacent to an exterior roof downspout ... The roof downspout at the corner needs serious attention to properly remove the roof runoff.

Unfortunately that roof drain turns the corner and runs under a concrete patio. The portion of the roof drain that I can see is in good condition. Maybe I should get one of those snake cameras to see if there is a crack in the drain that I cannot see.

I think adding a free-draining rock possibly only adds to the water exposure on the wall...not sure that solves the water infiltration issue.
Free draining rock attracts water, not repels it. If the water otherwise has no place to go the free-draining rock becomes an underground pool of water.

Typically, the things you look at for this situation are:
1. Make sure all the downspouts are directed away from the exterior of the house - preferably 8 to 10 ft. away.
2. Make sure that the grade outside drains away from the house.
3. Verify that any foundation drainage system near the bottom of your basement wall is open and functioning. Difficult to do unless you have cleanouts built into the system or you want to excavate the entire perimeter and replace it or open it back up.
4. Excavate near the efflorescent areas on the outside of the house down as deep as you can go and apply a waterproofing membrane or product to limit water infiltration into the wall.

There are other things to do but more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back