Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dspic info ??? anywhere ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

2dye4

Military
Mar 3, 2004
US
I want to learn to code my own DSP structures into the DSpic processor series. But many companies including MicroChip themselves want to sell you 'software' to create the code. This i do not want nor do i need if i could only get some details on the DSP core. I am hoping to find a shortcut to reading all the data sheets and app notes that cover this chip. Mainly just a assembly listing of a FIR filter would be a good start.
Does anybody know of a source of info on coding that is not trying to sell a 'aid' or 'crutch' depending how you view these things??

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And now we have CUDA. It's a quiet revolution that's going on.

Here's an overall view:

This is a verbal graphical/description of the new Femi architecture(quite interesting)(stay at top of the page as that is where the graphics are shown:

Check these products it's fueling. (takes a few seconds to download)

Keith Cress
kcress -

One of the things that has me puzzled is this.
In a FIR filter you must shift your input data or a pointer with bounds checking.

I assume the DSP processors have some cool way to do this. Does anybody know about the DSPIC specifically or another chips method.

Don't know much about the MC DSPs, but standard DSPs have circular buffers... you set up the beginning/end addresses as well as the increment value and you're off to the races. You ask for a value out of memory and it's returned to you from the proper position (incoming data from interrupts is handled automatically, as well), everything is taken care of in hardware. Ideal for real-time processing of data (audio, video, etc.).

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

2dye4-
Maybe a dead thread-
The dsPIC compilers from Mikroelectronika have a Filter Designer tool built in for FIR and IIR types. It has a code generator for their Basic/Pascal/C compilers. It does leverage their Radix libraries, which are not open source, but you can view the generated ASM and figure that out.

Certainly not the way to design efficient filters, but if you just want a simple, fast, free tool for some intro work for dsPICs, maybe it will help-
Best
R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back