Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Dimensioning and Weld Notes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

catGirl

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2013
US
Is it possible to add a dual dimenion to a weld note? For example, 1/4 [6.35] filet weld symbol. Boss wants everything in dual... not sure how to handle the weld notes.
~D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Umm Gee.. welding standards, Ansi, Iso??? to name a few. Considering I have sifted through mounds of information with regards to this, I thought I might put it out there for more reference... yes and no answers don't offer the responses I require for my boss. Cause, I know he will ask.
~D

catGirl,

Are the weld dimensions intelligent text in your CAD, or are they just dumb text? When someone revises your drawings, will they update the weld size and update the conversion, correctly?

It may be legal. It is still a bad idea.

I work mostly to metric here, but sometimes, it is a good idea to work to the vendor's favourite units.

--
JHG

SnTMan said:
I wouldn't dimension a weld to a hundredth of a millimeter...

...which takes us to one of the problems with dual units. Is a 1/4"[ ]weld equivalent to a 6mm[ ]weld? To which number do you apply tolerances?

.3 [7.6]
.2 [5.1] ?

--
JHG

JHG, The weld notes are dummy in Creo, so I am able to put in there anything I want as long as there is room. The Dual is due to the fact some of our product is created here, then shipped overseas and some is created there.. then merged. We have had vendors refuse to quote when it wasn't in their preferred units. So you can see we really have a need for the dual dimensioning; however iIt does make things complicated. I agree with you that the mm do not balance out well when converting, may have to round all the numbers well.

SnTMan and Mike, The tolerances when converted into metrics are the same when applied regardless. Adding a secondary chart for the tolerances in metrics may not be a bad idea.

The units are well defined on the drawing so there is no question of what is the primary or secondary units.

Thanks all for your help. I can now go to my boss and better advise him. Have a wonderful Friday and a Fabulous Weekend.
~D

If you really wanted to clutter up the drawings, you could do all the notes in dual languages too. Alternatively, to clean up the drawings, why not show the weld sizes in the primary system or units, and provide a conversion table in the general notes or near the title block. Management always has really good (wild, crazy, necessary, maybe not??) ideas to solve or address one problem, that then generate a hundred new problems. So, make these moves, or insist on these changes only after some considerable study of the consequences.

Thanks Dhengr:
We are considering a small block for conversions, but at the moment, the boss man just wanted me to use english.
To Everyone:
All is well.. and he and I am very thankful for so many good suggestions. The final decision was his and now I may proceed to complete my project.
Thank You,
~D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back