Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual-input, one output planetary gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

izor

Industrial
Mar 14, 2001
FI
I need information about a simple planetary gear, where both center gears are connected to different motors and the planet carrier works as output. I understand the speeds of this gear( Willis equation ), but the moments are something that I can't understand. Does anyone know a good book or website where I could get this information?
For now I have made calculations and get system you can get out 30kW power when you put 10 kW in! ;)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try "Dudleys Gear Handbook" or "Machine Desing" by Shigley.
You cant get 30KW, power input is constant, there is something wrong in your calcs. You probably did not multiply by the reduced speed of the reduction.

Edson Campos
edsoncampos@earthlink.net

As ecampos mentioned, one can not create power but only change the form. You can visit for some information on planetary gears. They specialize in the field.

As ecampos mentioned, one can not create power but only change the form. You can visit for some information on planetary gears. They specialize in the field and have worked on 2 I/P 1 O/P gear units.

Hello again.

I have made succesfully my calculations. Thanks anyway all you folks, your posts were helpful! I got my thesis work done and found the information from book, wich was written in year 1951 by my mother language (finnish). The differential gear isn't that easy to understand, but it sure has many fine applications.

Last, but not least I have to say this Eng-Tips forum is wery great idea. It helped me to do my thesis work. Keep on posting these interesting questions and answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back