Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Lefts at a Stop Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyB

Civil/Environmental
Sep 4, 2003
US
Is there research out there that deals with the safety of installing dual (i.e. side by side) left turns at the bottom of a three-way stop controlled T intersection with two lanes in each direction on the top of the T?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

is anyone had any experience with "dallas phasing" of a permitted left turn opposite a lagging left but only using the red, yelow and green ball indications with out the arrows. i have extremely low volume permitted left that needs some indication before i can safely lagg the opposite dual left.

is anyone had any experience with "dallas phasing" of a permitted left turn opposite a lagging left but only using the red, yelow and green ball indications with out the arrows. i have extremely low volume permitted left that needs some indication before i can safely lagg the opposite dual left.

If you have 2 lanes of traffic on the major and enough traffic on the minor to need 2 lanes you will probably meet the MUTCD signal warrants. 2 lanes moving the same direction from the minor is very tricky due to sight lines (one lane blocks the other) and path overlap issues. I would consider this only after all others avenues have been explored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back