Dual Monitor Useage w/ Solid Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ongybill

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2005
US
Howdy,
I just got a new video card, so I can finally go back to using 2 monitors. Something I had for years on a Mac.

Some questions for anyone out there using 2 monitors:

1) I put my toolbars on the 2nd monitor so I could make my drawing area bigger. This works well, except SW doesn't remember their locations so I have to reset them up everytime I open SW. Is there a way to save their locations?

2) Is there anyway to put the design tree on the 2nd monitor,that'd greatly increase the screen area available to draw in?

My IT guys say not being able to open a drawing on each monitor so I can view both at once is just a weakness of windows. Is this correct? It seems to be as programs I did this with on the Mac only allow me to work on 1 monitor now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am currently using 2 monitors.

I can have a drawing in each screen (tile verticlly)

I wish there was a way to have multible tool bars of the same thing.

1. might be a setting, mine remembers where they were.

2. I wish

Ed

I figured out the dual drawing thing. I needed to change a setting on my video card to allow me to extend the SW window acrost both monitors. That works, but then drawings open stretched acrost both monitors & I have to resize them. Not sure I'll keep doing it, but for the times I wish to look at 2 drawings it'll work great.

I think my toolbar issue is that I'm not anchoring them to any of the margins, but mearly arranging the "FREE" toolbars on the 2nd monitor & using the 1st for drawing.

I was avoiding margin anchoring as it makes the margin bigger in both windows. I'm gonna experiment w/ extending the SW window into the 2nd monitor just enough to show the toolbars and anchor them all to the right margin. They'll probably stay put if I do it that way, and I will keep my drawing area at it's maximum size.

Thanks for the help.

I stabilized w/ 1 row of toolbars at the top of the drawing window, and 4 rows on the side.

Just size the SW window so that the side toolbars and feature tree sit on your left monitor, and the drawing window sits on your right monitor.

This gives you a full monitor of drawing area, plus leaves much of your left monitor open for other tasks (shortcuts, email, web-pages, word processor, etc).

LOVE having 2 monitors again.

Click and hold down lmb on the double bars that show in the task pane. Then drag over to the middle of the screen this will float it. Then drag it to what ever location you like and dock it...

Hope this helps,

Dale

EdHulse,

I do not understand what you are trying to do? Can you please explain waht you mean by across both screens?

I have two monitors, just starting using two a couple days ago. I can move the task pane to any location in both monitors and dock it anywhere within the SW windows.

If I want to drawings at a time I open two in one application of SW tile them and then maximize SW window and I get a drawing on each monitor and they each have there own set of toolbars.

Dale

{If I want to drawings at a time I open two in one application of SW tile them and then maximize SW window and I get a drawing on each monitor and they each have there own set of toolbars.}

That sounds great. I can & do open 2 dwgs at times, but if doesn't work that way. If I hit maximize for the SW window it fits the SW window into the space on one or the other monitor. If I have 2 dwgs open and hit maximize on either dwg it maxes that dwg window out over both screens. What you're talking about would be more useful.

When I do it I drag the SW window so it covers all of both screens, then I tile the dwgs, then adjust ea dwg window size so it's on only 1 screen. Ea dwg has a feature tree, but only 1 set of toolbars is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back