Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dual seal barrier fluid for hydrofluoric acid environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirpumpsalot

Mechanical
May 25, 2004
US
Does anyone have a recommendation for a barrier fluid to be used in a dual seal that will be in an anhydrous, gaseous hydrofluoric acid environment? I would like to use Fluorolube, but it causes significant swell in Kalrez orings. The engineer who had this project previous to me tried to use a Royal Purple (RP) product and according to John Crane the RP caused a slip-stick situation that caused the seal to fail. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RP is usually highly recommended by Crane and the other seal mfgs... Slip stick is usually caused when a highly viscous fluid is between the faces.

Royal Purple (FDA grade) is a good barrier fluid.

Is your seal a dual bellows seal?
Are you getting slip stick from lack of damping on a bellows I wonder?

-
Milkboy

In conjunction with the Plan 52, 53, or 54, most often you will find a Plan 32 with Alkylate or Isobutane to help keep high concentrations of HF from getting near the seal. I think I've seen Isobutane used as the barrier/buffer fluid.

A lot of people are migrating to Nitrogen buffer systems with dry running or lift-off containment seals or outright to dual gas seals. This decreases worries about iron fluorides contaminating the buffer fluid as well as contamination from the flare header.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back