Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual thermocouple wiring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleyjo

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2005
US
I was wondering if there is a way to wire two thermocouples so that they send the highest of the two signals to the signal processor. I have a single temp reader but there are two things that I need to measure the temperature that should remain about the same temperature all of the time. I need to know if I can simply wire them in series or paralell in order to get the signal from one of them without halfing or doubling the signal or have any other undesired effects.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each thermocouple needs a cold junction and a subtracting
amplifier. A thistd amplifier may be connected to output
the highest of the two.

<nbucska@pcperipherals DOT com> subj: eng-tips
read FAQ240-1032

Im a Mechanical engineer so I dont really know what a thistd amplifier is I googled it but it came up with nothing if you could elaborate on what that is that wousl help maybe its just a spelling error but I dont know.

cooleyjo I've never heard of that either... methinks maybe a typo?

You can always hook two T/Cs in parallel which will give you the average. Never in series!

Generally instead of the hassle you are heading for, you would just acquire a T/C scanner and see both. Some scanners would probably let you select for "highest".

it depends on the internal resistance of the two TC-s.
If they are the same: yes else : no.

<nbucska@pcperipherals DOT com> subj: eng-tips
read FAQ240-1032

cooleyjo nbucska is correct you would want to use the same style T/Cs when paralleing.

We often hooked up to 12 in parallel for large sterilization chambers. In other cases we would hook up three sets of three.

Well I wired the two thermocouples in paralell and it seems that the tepmerature is wayyyy too hot for what its supposed to be I would say around twice as hot as it should be any suggestions about why this is acting up like this??

no I definately hooked them up in paralell I thought that would be the problem too. but just to make sure I hooked 2 T/C + to + on plug and 2 T/C - to - on plug is there only one way to hook up a thermocouple isnt it just two disimilar metals? I will try to hook reverse polarities on the two TCs tonight Hope it works anyone have any other suggestions

I suggest the following:

Measure each T/C individually with a multimeter on mV DC setting, convert to Temperature using the tables for your type T/C (ie. J, K or whatever). Don't forget to add on ambient temperature of the location where your multimeter is. Calculate the average of the 2 measurements.

Then parallel the T/Cs and do it again. You should get the same result. Otherwise you are doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back