Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duct sizing calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
Before I decide to write such a program, is there a free on line program to determine A/C pipe size for multiple separate rooms in a two story structure. Program must take into consideration such factors as room exposure to sun ,orientation and shade; window and wall sizes to the outside and inside, occupancy load (latent heat load); sensible heat from appliances and lighting; "R" factors of walls; pressure drop thru branch lines, trunk lines, risers and plenums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, air conduits are called ducts and not pipes.

What you are looking for is a complicated program invloving a heat gain/loss thermodynamic program with an optimizing fluids overlay. These programs are available, but are expensive and proprietary.

Your input is going to be much more complicated; what you have shown is inadequate.

For duct sizing you can use a ductulator. You can do manual or computerize. you can find ductulator programs in the net for free. Just try searhing in google.

For HVAC load calculation, you can use softwares. there are softwares given or free by suppliers and there are demo versions in the net.

Cheers!

cabalen:

Most of the free duct and heat-gain programs available on the net are free for a very good reason .... they are worthless........

Thanks for the tips bukac1 and willard3. Here my tip to you willard3, there are people who like to make mountains out of mole hills.

snip
Here my tip to you willard3, there are people who like to make mountains out of mole hills.
snip

That's why Engineers are licensed: they recognize that what seems to be a molehill is a mountain when laymen don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back