Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ducted Fan 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8tor

May 30, 2003
US
What is the easiest way to calculate potential thrust from a ducted fan? I.E. 6 bladed 36 inch fan operating at 5000rpm.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

while I'm not as lofty as aero eng I do mech stuff. Here is the end of the line in small ducted fans for model airplanes. A few years ago they were the ultimate rage. Some got over 200 mph !! They are vastly complex models. However thay have been of late surpassed by the turbine engine. These are very fast. Easly 200 mph straight and level. Honest ingen. You get a pretty nice car for the cost of these. And yes they do crash. Some even leave a smoking hole...literaly.
Check this site for ducted fans

MrChristian (Military Background)
Information relating to ducted fans might best be sought by an Airship Manufacturer. (or Blimp)
Many of these use piston engine pods with a ducted fan drive. Usually a small fan is used to enable turning to accommodate steering - low speed means a conventional rudder has little effect.
I believe Porsche engines were used by at least one .
Goodyeard might release some data - best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back