Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ductwork design

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAeng22

Structural
Jan 13, 2004
US
Can anyone recommend a good reference for the structural design of large industrial ductwork?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Carrier Manual alwas was good at this. Anyway the HVAC providers surely have integrated and instrumented systems by now and it will be good thing to research likely ones for the job to give help.

Try SMACNA (sheet metal manufacturers?) of USA.
They have complete designs & details of ducting. There is one publication for circular ducts & another one for rectangular ducts.
I have designed some 2 m dia SS ducting using their recommendations. The saddle support design does not include saddle tip stresses (as detailed in Rouke & Young, formulas for stress & strain, AWWA M11 for steel pipelines, etc) but this is compensated for by the use of lower stresses. I don't think that this degree of detail (saddle tip stresses) for duct supported on saddles is warranted.
The SMACNA publication has been around for a long time (before 1975 I think) so obviously there is a continued use & successful experience behind it.

BarryEng

dmsbeam,

Ductwork is a broad word. If you are looking for light hvac type then the previous posts are probably a better fit. If you are looking at stiffened plate steel construction as in boiler breeching etc. for industrial applications you can look at Design of Weldments or Design of Welded Structures by Lincoln. If memory serves me both books have the section of stiffened plate steel construction. Ive used these texts for breeching applications.

DDS1

I would recommend the following:

"The Structural Design of Air and Gas Ducts for Power Stations and Industrial Applications" by ASCE's Air and Gas Duct Structural Design Committe

This provides a good overview of the design requirements but it is not a governing code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back