Apr 25, 2013
US
>
Greetings to all!

I am looking for information on some type of spill
containment system/device, that will be placed
underneath a (typical) trash dumpster, in a
restaurant setting. This system/device will
collect any liquid spills from the dumpster.

This spill containment device should be very
durable, as the trash dumpster will regularly be
lifted off of it to empty and then placed back on
it (i.e. - metal vs heavy duty plastic ??)

The dumpster application is for a typical medium
sized restaurant, and the spill containment device
will be for the trash dumpster only! Also, I have
a used kitchen F.O.G. receptacle inside the same
trash dumpster enclosure that will be used to hold
the F.O.G. until it is reclaimed.

Any input will be appreciated! Thanks ya`ll!

<

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If possible, make a drainage hole in the dumpster. You will need a relatively small sump with a grate over the top located under the dumpster drainage port. If possible, the captured liquid can flow through the F.O.G.

Building a spill containment enclosure (say, something like a concrete curb), you are going to pick up rainwater - and that is going to compound the problem.

See if you can capture any liquid discharge from the dumpster at a single point.

or have a bit of a basin lined with an impervious material and access for pumping (pipe?) and fill it with clean crushed stone since the dumpster may not be liquid proof.

Dik

Create a sump that is slightly larger than the dumpster. Make it impervious and install a sump with pump in it. Cover the sump area with grating having sufficient structural capacity to hold the dumpster and the truck that will lift the dumpster in the case of an accidental overrun.

Why don't you pipe the dumpster area drainage to the head of the grease trap? They're usually pretty close to each other. It's where the drainage is going to eventually end up. You might get a small amount of storm drainage, but it would reduce the nastiness of that going in the storm sewer.

Install a simple concrete pad with a curb around the three back sides. If you are worried about rain, install an awning to take the rain water away.

The dumpster should be liquid tight. If not, replace the dumpster. Why would anyone want to drain the dumpster? Liquids should not be placed in the trash!

It is probably a violation of the wastewater collection code to drain this area to the sewer, don't attempt it.

If there is a spill, it will be small and can easily be clean up. Don't overthink this design.

I don't know the type of liquid will be draining from your dumpster, however, if grease and cooking oil are dumped in the dumpster, I would suggest a separate holding tank for these liquids which can be pumped on a periodic basis by an outside contractor for further processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back