Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Duralar Technologies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norse1957

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2018
US
Has anyone here worked with Duralar Technologies when looking for ways to increase the hardness & toughness of metals? They claim to have "The Most Advanced Hard Coatings on the Planet." I'm currently working on a medical device project that uses a divot for calibrating a tool with a tungsten carbide tip. The engineer before me (left the company) first had the divot made from 440C, but the tungsten carbide tip was tearing up the surface of the divot over time and making it unusable. So he then decided to switch to sapphire, which costs $600 per each small part. My thought is he gave up on trying a metal that could be treated too soon. I know there are several companies who have newer technologies in this area, and in doing a search today, I came across Duralar Technologies. Any input on their process, or some other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have watched 440C heated with Ti ions with the result of forming TiC within the surface using C within the alloy.
What WC grade are you using? (what binder, binder%, and grain size)
have you looked at structural ceramics? BC, SiC, CBN, there are a bunch of candidates.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Thank you EdStainless! The WC we're using is EMT 909. And actually, a company in Europe is making them for us (and they chose & obtain the material), but that's what they list on the BOM for the tip. I'll look into some of those ceramics. I may be able to share a drawing here of the part, as that may help nail down the better material.

EMT 909 info here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back