Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dust collector dust disposal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LASERNINJA

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2009
US
So, here in Oregon, a few of my customers have been running into some issues with their dust collected. One company asked if I knew of anyone who specialized cleaning out the dust collector. I was a bit confused because this is the first I have heard of such a thing. Apparently, the concern is that they cut strictly stainless and the possibility that chrome or some of its carcinogen derivatives may be in high enough concentration to cause health issues. They told me that if they couldn't find anyone they were going to create a respirator fit test program and make some serious changes to how the effluent was handled.

Another place told me the scrap metal company didn't want it because the dust was too fine and blowing out of the trucks going down the road. The owner of the shop called around to find someone to take it and the lowest price was $9.00 a pound. At that rate he has stock piled $10,000 worth of dust.

What are other folks doing with the stuff? Is there really a health concern? Should cut steel, stainless and aluminum be considered hazardous waste? Personally, I have always felt that it came from the earth so sending it back was not such a problem. But then again, I do not dump motor oil in my grass, front or back yard...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We had the same issue with the dust blowing out of the truck. Now we dump the collectors into garbage bags and put them in 55 gallon drums supplied by the scrap metal company now they don’t have any issues. As far as any issues with collecting the dust and being safe I would use a 3m professional multi-purpose respirator (model # 62023HA1-A) I use this for painting and it works great.

How often are you guys cleaning them out? I do about once a month and its a huge mess. I tried once a week and it was still the same mess so i figured monthly would be OK. We deposit ours into bags and toss them into the dumpster out back... But my employer has me do a lot of stuff i don't quite think is safe so i don't know lol. i also wear the 3m respirator and a full paint suit because it sucks trying to get that off your skin.

We dump them twice a week because if we wait a week the pile on the floor is just as big the one in the bag. At on time we put them in the trash but when they picked it up and the bags broke the garbage guy's got covered in laser dust, funny as hell but not good. The best way to clean up is to wash with tide.

Ha nice! I bet they were very happy LOL. Everybody here thinks ours is radioactive or something so they all leave when I open it up. Twice a week will be hard to get past my boss. He has a heart attack anytime the laser isn't running. They don't understand the concept of PREVENTATIVE maintenance

Ferritic or austenitic? If ferritic, I'd consider some form of magnetic pickup in the dump area. It would keep it limited to the bags, and anything that did manage to make it outside of the bags would be easily nabbed with a portable magnetic sweep.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Nothing to do with the original question, but kind of the same safety subject:
Empty your dust bin when switching from aluminum cutting to mild steel cutting with oxygen. The aluminum dust could ignite and make a very hot fire.

I empty every day into a 55 gallon drum between my 4 machines and place the bag into our steel recycle bin. On the 4 Trumpf 2030 machines i have the bins are small, so daily is a must. I use a 3m half face mask

Along similar lines to what footstrap said, has anyone tried to burn it, on purpose? What if there was a way to heat it a bit so it turns in to "moon rocks" similar to what forms in the slug trays? Or, would it be completely idiotic to try to burn it in a controlled environment? I realize that there would have to be the right mix of Al and Fe to make it happen. I am not a big fan of burning trash but I cant imagine the smoke/gasses coming off would be toxic or too harmful to the environment.

i wish i never came to this thread.

ignorance was bliss lol. we empty ours like every 6 months never gave aluminum dust a thought.

"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand, 'cause they are stuck on me"

Yeah you are actually making a Thermite mixture if you where to try and burn it, which is a bad idea cause the exothermic reaction burns at 2500*C and has its own oxygen supply so you cant put it out.

We dump out dust bucket twice a week. It goes into a trash bag and the janitor picks it up and tosses it in the dumpster out back. It's apart of our daily maintenance log and needs to be signed off twice a week. You will spend a lot less time doing it more frequent than you will cleaning up a monthly mess.

To get powdered aluminum metal, and not its oxide, you would have to be cutting with inert gas (argon, helium) or reducing mixture (hydrogen). If cutting with air, I would seriously doubt that any significant amount of un-oxidized metal remains in the dust.

Surely the frequency of emptying the bags depends on what you cut and if the machine is running 24/7.
We operate 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week, and change empty them every 7 days. We have two dust collecting bins, lined with thick plastic bags that we just throw away in a domestic skip.

Have you seen that bin? Most of the bins are of following dimensions and made up of stainless steel. I think you need some good toys to work on it. Al bins are also available on the market.
HowItWorksBins.png

LASERNINJA, do you really get $9 a pound for this stuff?? I have boxes and boxes of the stuff sitting in the back of my shop because my scrap guy said it is worthless and we should just throw it in the dumpster. If you are indeed selling it, what kind of scrapper will take it and what do you call it when you ask about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back