Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dust collector to filter Outside Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblaser

Chemical
Jun 1, 2001
US
Mini building inside of steel mill with dusty atmosphere.
Anyone ever try to prefilter the air with a dust collector type device to avoid filter plugging and lack of maintenance changing filters?

The building will house electronics which do not like dust. The client wants to pressurize the rooms to keep dust out. Due to location, running a fresh air duct to the ouside of the building is prohibitive. Heat is removed with A/C.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these pieces of equipment installed in cabinents? They could use vortex tubes, which run off compressed air.Then you would only be cooling the cabinents themselves.

billygoat22

There is a mixture of cabinet mounted devices, servers, ups, etc..., as well as lights,transformers and occasional people.

A large load in a little container building, mostly sensible heat.

Meaning pre-filter the pre-filter? Why? Why not just take air from the plant and use a 30% set followed by a 65% set and change the 30% monthly (or however often needed)?

ChasBean1

Just looking at alternatives right now. The client is not good at changing filters, so either they will create XS pressure or will be thrown away.

The atmosphere is very dusty-visibly.

Dust collectors (with bag filters) and pulse jet cleaning can be an option for you.

Regards,

Eng-Tips.com : Solving your problems before you get them.

Can you duct the intake directly to the outdoors? It would save the hassle of changing filters as often...

Thinking out loud, how about an insect screen to catch the larger particles? It might work if you have larger particles, and someone could clear it with a wave of their hand if accessible. We put an insect screen in at a paper recycling warehouse, but it also helped that the foreman and crew working there took an active role in changing the filters too.

Hi!

To Quark: Can you be more specific? Let us know some description of what you mean? Some sites, some material, some data related? Is that possible? I'm in a middle of a similar problem, which I will share with the Forum.
zzzo

These links will give you a pictorial idea of the things I am talking about.

The system consists of bag filters and air flows outside in. A compressed air jet strikes the filter bags with a specified time interval to loosen the particles from the bags and subsequently bagged out. We generally use them in pharmaceutical tablet manufacturing facilities.

But on a second thought, cyclone separators seem to be better option in a steel manufacturing environment. Perry's chemical engineers handbook (chapter 19) deals with cyclone separators elaborately. I faintly remember downloading an excel spreadsheet for cyclone separator design. If I can find it, I will send it to you provided I get your e-mail id. (PS: Don't expect it sooner[wink])

Regards,

Eng-Tips.com : Solving your problems before you get them.

Thanks all for your input.

To QUARK: Yes, I would be interested in the spreadsheet.

tmblaser@matrixti.com

Again, thanks all. I will let you know if this proceeeds further in this direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back