Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duty cycle for motor longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarvis

Electrical
Nov 2, 2001
US
If a motor was ran for ten seconds on and ten seconds off would it last longer than having it run continuously. Would it be different for ac and dc motors? How much would starting load factor into it? Thanks for any input.

Ben Englund

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First thing I can think of...

In your 10 second repeating on/off scenario, the inrush current (starting) would overheat the motor windings.

jarvis

It is important to know the starter, motor type, speed, load inertia and load torque curve to make an analysis.

For a traditional SCIM handling an average load, a 10 sec run, 10 sec stop repetitive cycle is more severe than a continuous running service due to the high inrush current involved. The mechanical stresses and the heat generated are proportional to the second power of the current.

How about one minute on and one minute off? I don't have any particular application in mind, but it is just something I have been pondering. thanks for your replys

Ben Englund

Jarvis,
always remember that it is always less severe for a motor to be running continously rather than on an on/off cycle, no matter what the on/off cycle might be.

Suggestion: There is a great flexibility in the motor design. A motor for such duty might be designed and actually are designed for process industry. However, an off the shelf squirrel-cage induction motor or dc motor will experience an overheat and a lower life cycle.

Here is some info from NEMA on allowable starting duty (starting not allowed as frequently as horsepower increases, speed increases, inertia increases).

I think that "always" and "never" are amost always never right ;-)

If the motor were very highly loaded above the service factor, then I would think it would certainly be preferable to start it once a year for a few hours than to run it continuously.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

(also let's assume my hypothetical overloaded motor is in-doors and outfitted with space heaters that come on when the motor is off, and has a very low inertia load which does not challenge it during start)

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Comment: Custom made or very special motors do not necessarily have to comply with NEMA MG-1. E.g. NEMA does not cover 15 or 18phase motors. They are beginning to be applied to elevators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back