Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DWG Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iumcad

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2007
US
In my newly founded design firm I have no licensed version of ACAD to use for 2D data. Customers will want their detail drawings in ACAD dwg format. Has everyone found DWG editor to have all the same functionalities as ACAD? I am an ACAD veteran and it looks like darn nere the same thing. I may just export all solidworks 2D drawing files to dwg editor and create a finished dwg from there.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's wrong with giving your customers Save As drawings in DWG format, but keep the native SolidWorks files whole? It would be much easier in the long run to maintain your files.

Maybe you could show your customers the benefits of PDFs and related technologies with eDrawings and the SolidWorks Viewer?

DWGeditor is not as functional as AutoCAD. Ther is an associated learning curve, as you know how to get things accomplished in ACAD, and the options/workflow are different in DWGeditor. I found it to be very frustrating. Half of my frustration may have come from working in 2D to begin with.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I thought it would be easier using ACAD primarily becuase they like for me to use "their" title blocks (which are normally generated in dwg format). I dont think Solidworks would bring this in well as a sheet format. I know native solidworks files save great in dwg format but then I would have to edit all of the title blocks.

3D Innovations
Solidworks Office Pro 2007 SP2.2
Dell 390 NVIDIA FX4500
Quad Core Processor 4G Mem

You only have to save their title block as a Sheet Template/Format once. You should be able to faithfuly recreate your customer's title block and logo, though you may have to convert the logo to a GIF or JPG.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back