Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DWG TO DGN CONVERSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noopur

Structural
Aug 19, 2002
I have a survey drawing in AutoCAD format. Our Surveyor works in AutoCAD only. Client wants the final drawings in microstation format. So...I want to convert the drawing we got from our surveyor into a microstation file. Then I can use that file as my base drawing in microsation to create all other drawings.What things I need to keep in mind. What is the process?? What mapping software
are available. How the survey points & other data gets converted?

I am having trouble in converting layers to levels, color tables plotting to line weight plotting, converting blocks to cells...etc etc.

Is there a standard method to do this...has anybody done it before. How does the various software available for autocad to microstation conversion works??? I sit really worht to but them??

Please send anytype of link/information related to this topic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry for the spelling....here is the corrected one!

I have a survey drawing in AutoCAD format. Our Surveyor works in AutoCAD only. Client wants the final drawings in microstation format. So...I want to convert the drawing we got from our surveyor into a microstation file. Then I can use that file as my base drawing in microsation to create all other drawings.What things I need to keep in mind. What is the process?? What mapping software
are available. How the survey points & other data gets converted?

I am having trouble in converting layers to levels, color table plotting (autocad) to line weight plotting (microsation), converting blocks to cells...etc etc.

Is there a standard method to do this...has anybody done it before. How does the various software available for autocad to microstation conversion works??? Is it really worth to buy them??

Please send any type of link/information related to this topic.

try

file --> import dwg or dxf

there you find the neccessary tools and tables for converting a drawing. I do this all the time.

if you want more information on how to do just contact me.
h_molenbe@hotmail.com

P.S. i'm a dutch college so forgive me for my spelling :)

mvg
HMO

Are you coverting to Microstation V8?. If so, you can access and work a Autocad file in Microstation V8. If you have a deliverable to the client in V8 with client standards which would include linestyles, levels, cells, fonts, etc..then you should look into the V8 re-mapping tools. The V8 re-mapping tools creates a .cvs file which is a excel spread sheet for re-mapping Autocad layers to Microstation levels and other compatable things such as .shx files to custom line styles. I believe that it may work with Microstation J files as well. Don't quote me on it though. Access the autocad file in Microstation V8. Do as file>save as> to a new V* file. Before you convert it, go to the options area and look for the remap tab. Create a .cvs file and look for the instructions area and follow the instructions. It's pretty extensive but very powerfull and I will not go into, but that is a start for you.

Good Luck!

I deal with this issue constantly, but unfortunately I do not know of a process that is 100%. I always have some cleanup that needs to be done (scaling, level names, etc). Also, if the original survey is over 63 levels this will lead to problems. Make sure your survey is on 63 levels or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back