Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

.DWG to .PDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cparnell

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2002
US
In the past when I had to create a .PDF file, I would have to create an .EPS in A2K then go to Photoshop, flatten, resize, and save as .PDF. There fore creating two files to get just one. We then purchased Adobe Acrobat. I was then able to use the Acrobat Distiller to print to, there fore creating a .PDF file.
I was looking on and found a download of the Acrobat Distiller at
Could it be that one who can not afford to purchase Adobe Acrobat could down load this distiller by it self and create .PDF files with out purchasing Acrobat?

I have not read the entire Adobe agreement, but I did not see anything stating that there would be a charge to download.

If anyone tries this let me know if it works.

Charles S. Parnell
Southern Store Fixtures

cparnell - The distiller you provided a link to is an add-on program that only installs if you have Adobe Acrobat 3.0 installed.

A fellow in my office recently stumbled across PDF995, which is free, and, like the "fineprint" mentioned above, it creates a virtual printer and saves the file you print as a PDF file. This works with all applications. Very rarely the fonts get mixed up, but ACAD doesn't have this problem. Its limitation is that you can't put together multiple documents (unless you can make them into one print job). We've found this very handy for sending project information to the customer in a format they can't edit for themselves.

STF

You can also go to cadalog.com and download a shareware called ViewCompanion. What is great about this shareware is that it will do batch conversions of plt files to pdf format in about 2 seconds...very user friendly:)

You need to make a new ctb plot file called Adobe in the plot device. Also need to add printer to autoCAD's Plotters. There are other steps that I am not aware of, but the last company I worked for the ctb file was set up already. All that I did was to choose which printer to plot to (Adobe Acrobat.ctb) and once selected then make the plot settings choices and pick the ok button. At that point it does not really print, but it will ask you where you want to save the pdf file.

I started to write a program in VBA that will convert DWGs to PDFs. It is somewhat limited. Right now it does 8.5x11, 11x17, and 24x36. It uses some freeware to complete this. I am not done with it yet but always looking for suggestions on how to improve it. Email me and i will send you the files. jhulsman@hs-ee.com

Thanks everyone for your help. As IFRs stated earlier the link was just for Acbrobat 3.0.
Maybe one day AutoCAD will add a PDF option when printing.

Charles S. Parnell
Southern Store Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back