Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dwg view section

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I found another bug. VAR can't figure it out. I have '04 SP3. I have a case with a cable coming out of the side at 15 deg angle. Our customer wants to show a dwg with the cable showing straight to the right. I need to show a section view thru the center of the case. I drew a section line thru the case and created a sect view. Then I rotated the main view 15 deg and the dependant view. Everything worked great. Now whenever I do anything to the section view, it changes to "not-sectioned" except for a small piece. It is sectioning as if the main view was not rotated! If I close without saving, then re-open...it looks fine. Until I try to touch the view again. Any ideas?? thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't rotate the view. There are some known bugs when you rotate a view in the drawing. Make the view in the part and save it as a New view. Then use that view in your drawing.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Or...... get your main view orientation corrected before you create the section view?

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Create a new view in the model which sets the part in the orientation you need to show in your drawing. Basically click on the face you want to show, then select the "Normal to" icon, then rotate the part using <Alt>+arrow keys to what you need, then set your new view using the View Orientation icon. When you call the part into a drawing you will be able to select the new view as the basis for any other views.

Read the Help > SolidWorks Help Topics > Index & type Orientation for further details.

An alternative is to use the Relative view from the Drawing Views toolbar.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[ponder] If you choke a smurf, [smurf] what color does it turn?

Sorry ... If you're trying Relative View, it is not suitable in this "case". [bigsmile]

Do you have access to SW2004 pre SP3? ... It works fine on my system (SP2.1)

I think we may be talking about different things here!

What have you tried on SP2.1? ... New View in Orientation ... Relative View ... or your original method?

The trick here is to bring the view to be sectioned into the drawing in its already "rotated" state & then do the X-section.

Relative view. I ended up creating a view, rotated it, then other views/sections from it. Then Cut-Paste the views to sheet 2. Then did "hide" on the created view. For some reason moving them to another sheet fixed it! Bit cumbersome, but worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back