Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DXF File Conversation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

braydun

Civil/Environmental
Jul 11, 2006
US
I'm not an expert ACAD user, nor a beginner, and need some help with a DXF file. I received a DXF file from my surveyor that consists of point coordinates only. I've converted to a DWG and connected the dots to generate an as-built. I would now like to convert the DXF file to some type of TXT file (or equal) so that I can submit the as-built drawing and raw data to the Project RE. What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,

Brent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The DXF file is in ASCII/text format which can be read with a text editing program (Notepad, Wordpad, Word, etc.) But do you want just a listing of the point coordinates, suc as northing, easting, elevation? The surveyor would have it in that form,I'd say start with requesting it from them.
A simple way if that isn't possible is to use the "list" command then select all points. Copy and paste the results from AutoCAD's text window to a text file.

Ask for the coordinate file from the surveyor. Why aren't you having the surveyor do their part of the job instead of you figuring out how to do it?

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

Thanks, CarlB. Cut/paste from "list" did the trick.

Good question, brandonbw, I agree. Turns out the surveyor is not the brightest bulb. One of those "do it myself because its easier" situations.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back