Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DXF origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawtcalm

Computer
Mar 17, 2005
CA
Newbie question, I'm learning .DXF format on the fly.
I'm attempting to create a .dxf export from a MFC application. MFC by default places the origin at the top left (so y increments downward). Is there a way of setting this type of view in the .dxf file, and if so how?

-->x
|
V
y

thanks for your time!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trying to understand, are you wanting to create entites in DXF and define them from another set of info? What you are doing sounds possible, I am just unclear what you are trying to end up with.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

in a C++ MFC application the drawing coordinates origin is the TOP left, so that position 5,3 would be here:
|------------|
| x |
| |
| |
|------------|
yet in a dxf file the origin is of course at the BOTTOM left, so position 5,3 would be here:
|------------|
| |
| |
| x |
|------------|

I'm succesfully exporting what is drawn in an mfc app into dxf but since Y increase downard in mfc and upwards in dxf the drawing is basically flipped along it's x axis. How do I identify in a dxf file that I want the origin in the top left instead of bottom right?

I'm not an autocad user so I'm not recognizing much of the terms they use in their help when describing all the commands. It's likely something I need to set in the HEADER section of the dxf file?

I believe you will want to define the UCS (User Coordinate System)in the DXF file to the one you want to use. AutoCAD uses 3 o'clock by default.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back