Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DXF previewer in Microsoft Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use email to send our cutting orders to the CNC and waterjet. Before we send the files out, we have to review the attachments. We are working towards a new way of supplying those depts with files / programs, but this is how we have done it since forever. All we have to look for is orientation and cutouts to make sure everything is there. Clicking on an attachment and opening a program is too time consuming for what needs to happen.

I tried searching for a good hour. Found longbow immediately, unfortunately you need to have AutoCAD installed to view dxf's (per longbow rep) We only use Solidworks, so that is out of the question. Thank you for the effort though. Any other ideas out there?

I'm not having trouble viewing dxf's. I just don't want to open DraftSight or Solidworks for every dxf. We just need to quick glance at them.

I do not know if I missing something but DS have a free viewer that can open native Solidworks, native PROE and 2d dxf's. It is called e-drawings. Once it is installed all you have to do is double click the attachment and it opens.

Unfortunately, none of the links / options have been of help. I am not looking for a viewer, I am looking for a previewer for Microsoft Outlook, where I can glance at the dxf quickly to make sure the part is not missing any cutouts. We send our cutting files via email, and have to open them separately to view them in another program. Not how I would choose to do it, but I have to play by the rules.

How does the last link I gave you not help you?

Per the website:
Additional Information 90% of the functionality The Longbow Previewer requires AutoCAD 2013 or newer to be installed on your system. This software requires Microsoft .NET version 3.51 or higher to run. This software only runs on Windows Vista said:
Email previewing only works with Microsoft Outlook 2007 or newer[/color]. Quick Print is only supported if you have the latest Adobe Reader installed. If the Previewer extensions are not showing as you expect, please reboot your machine and try again.]

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back