Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DXF to Gerber conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimpson

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2010
IE
I wish to use a small pcb router that normally takes gerber files from PCB design software to do some simple 2D work from DXF data. Just need tool paths and drill centres.

Any body know where I could get DXF/Gerber conversion done for free?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Plenty of free converters on Google... any reason they're not working for you?

Searching on "Gerber translator free" turns up something useful as the very first hit.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Seems there are a few free plugins for Autocad to convert to gerber..

Plenty of free PCB design programs out there too that obviously export gerber..
I like Diptrace..

Couldnt find any free dxf to gerber conversions on the web.

I am using Solid Edge to generate dxf. There are SE utilities available but at a cost. I only want to experament.

Yes DXF to Gerber.

My cad system outputs DXF. Router takes Gerber.

I can also export .igs, .pdf, .dgn .dwg in 2D format

You may have difficulty going in that direction. Gerbers can make shapes based upon a layered approach, e.g., create a circle by starting with a square, then laying a bunch of other squares on top of it until the original approximates a circle. DXF is point-/line-based. I'm sure there are crude translations, but that's not the norm.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I believe LinkCAD can do it but I haven't used that program in several years. As Dan pointed out it may not be a direct conversion; you may need to translate DXF to ??? to Gerber.

Z

Maybe you can look at Eagle, a free electronic cad software... it should be possible to import DXF, and then create Gerbers.
For sure it' doable with Altium, but it's not free, I don't know for Eagle, or other free ecad

It would be a semi automatic process, if he don't need net name the task is pretty easy, no need to do the tracing, just import on toplayer and bottom layer. I imagine the the PCB is pretty simple, in order to build it entirely with a milling machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back