How to calculate the EMF in a circuit with 2 opposing batteries? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Total Novice

Electrical
Mar 8, 2023
AU
EDIT:
Just realised now I didn't post the actual question. So sorry everyone.
The question says "What is the resultant EMF in the circuit?"

Hello,

I am not an electrical engineering student/engineer, but I have a related question I was hoping someone could help answer.
Here is a picture of the question:
Purple_circuit_10_scxix3.jpg

This is not homework.

I would like to know, the formula for EMF (from what I have found online) is e = V + Ir where e = the electromotive force, V is the volts, I is the current, and r is the internal circuit. But the answer for this is simply "24 - 6 = 18", and the explanation for this is that the batteries's positive terminals are facing the each other so the voltage is working against each other, and the 24V one is going to over power the 6V one. That is all logical even if you don't have any electrical circuit knowledge, but what I don't understand is what happened to the e = V + Ir formula? Why was this not used at all? People who were discussing this question also said that if the batteries were facing the same way, the EMF would simply be 24 + 6 = 30. Again, the formula is not used. Is the EMF simply a sum of the 2 battery's voltages?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Absolutely true. But I was pointing out (as per your previous comment) the fact that anyone can sit the exam (passing or not is irrelevant) to explain why this is not a question to test what you have learnt, simply because it isn't part of a class and whether you have learnt a particular topic or not, does not stop your eligibility from sitting the rest of the test. ie "I am trying to learn what this topic is about just to answer the question", rather than "I am doing this question to revise what I already learned about this topic".
Thanks and have a great day/night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back