Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Load in coating plate with X and Y loading 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azidah

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2007
CA
Hi everyone,

I am currently modeling a scratch tester on a coating plate in ABAQUS CAE version 6.5.1. I have succesfully done the elastic plastic for vertical displacement and now I need to move the scratch tester's tip horizontally while increasing the load (in -y direction and it's time-dependent)

However in X-direction, when I applied Dynamic loading/implicit in Step 1 ( I skipped Static in Step 1 when I found out that the error begins at Step of which dynamic loading is applied), it keeps on giving me error "Too many increments needed to complete the step".

Max. Number of Increments: 200
Increment size: Initial=1.5e-3,
Min=1e-5,
Max=1
Half-step Residual tolerance = 1
Matrix solver = symmetric
Default load variation with time = Ramp linearly over step

I've changed the Mesh Element Type to C3D8 from C3D8R and increased the value of Relative in Penetration Tolerance under Contact Control to 1% (default only 0.1%)
for Amplitude, I've used Total time (Time Span) and Smooth Step for type.

I really dont have any clue how can I apply load over distance or time linearly like key in the values in the table?

Thank you so much for all the helps

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should adjust the parameters for automatic time incrementation. In general, contact problems require very small increments.

If you settings are:

Max. Number of Increments: 200
Increment size: Initial=1.5e-3,
Min=1e-5,
Max=1

Then if the analysis runs (on average) with constant increments delta_t=initial_increment=1.5e-3 and with the above settings you allow the analysis to run for maximum of 200 increments (for the corresponding step), then your analysis time will span only 0.3 (time units).

After the solver will have computed 200 increments, it will just stop and send a "Too many increments needed to complete the step" error. You should set the max. number of increments to a value enough for the solver to cover entire step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back