Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic polar array question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJe

Structural
Apr 17, 2009
BE
Hello,

We are currently testing the use of dynamic blocks to improve our autocad system.

We've been testing all functionalities and find it very interesting, but there is 1 part that we do not understand.

Why is the 'polar array' in dynamic blocks different from drawing 'normal polar arrays'? I want to draw a number of holes on a circle (flange). But I cannot get this right using dynamic blocks.

In the near future we are also planning to use dotNET to mak eseveral tasks easier. One of them would involve the drawing of flanges. So we would like to be able to create a dynamic block to draw a complete set of flanges, and then we would like to use this block from within our C# code.

Does someone knows how to draw a dynamic polar array like described above? The main thing is to allow the change of the bolt circle diameter. All holes should adjust automaticly. The number of holes will be adjusted by code.

Thanks!
Jeroen.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The code part is separate from the ability of the program to do this. I know Inventor can do this pretty easy, but even if we would use Inventor, we would need the code to create the flange from a long list of possible combinations and types.

But, the problem is that we use AutoCAD, and not Inventor. Upgrading to Inventor isn't the solution, because 3D would not give many advantages in our business.

It would be (relative) easy if a polar array in dynamic blocks would do the same thing as a polar array in a normal block. Now, because of this problem, we need to program a lot more to do this. And the result would be not as good as we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back