Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E&H Level Radar Positoned in the Centre of Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGMurphy

Petroleum
Feb 21, 2003
GB
I am currently looking at installing an Endress + Hauser Micropilot M FMR231 Level radar on a 13m HF column. Unfortunately the only nozzle available to connect the radar to is directly in the centre of the vessel, this is not ideal for radars as the walls give off false echoes that reduce the clarity of the level signal. E+H have ensured me that the model will work in the central position, as the software will be able to eliminate the false echoes.

Has anyone used the radar in the centre of a vessel? Does it perform ok or have there been problems? Any information, especially about the performance of the E+H model would be welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many misconceptions about radar come from bad experience4s with ultra sonic. Radar is a lot more forgiving. More important questions need to be asked. Is this a solid or liquid in the tank? Where does the fill for the tank come into the vessel? Where do you draw the level down?
Center of the tank should not be a problem. Application with respect to the above questions can cause problems.

Hi there,

I've tested several Radar level measurements of different vendors (Vega,Saab,Siemens,E&H and miltronics). Most of those seem to work well (except miltronics). I wanted to measure a additive liquid with a viscosity of more then 4000 cST in a flat bottom cilindric tank with top filling and bottom outlet with a sump. The height of the tankd was 10 m. There are several things you need to check/decide.
- Diëlectric cst (>1.8)
- Is there an agitator in the tank?
- Thus your product produce foam?
- Were is the inlet and outlet position of your tank,
should be as far as possible of the radarmeasurement?
- What's the form of your tank (flat bottom, conic
bottom and so on) perhaps you need strapping tables.
- What type of electrical connection do you need
fieldbus foundation, profibus, Hart protocol and so
on?
Saying all of this, I personaly had the best expierence with Saab-Rosemount and especialy E&H. E&H gives by far the best support. They even asked for a small amount of the product so they could measure the diëlectric cst.
After the tests I installed about 30 sensors. They were installed in several positions on the tanks, not even one failed until now (+/- 2 years installed).

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back