Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

E&O Insurance 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bammer25

Structural
Mar 22, 2018
US
Wasn’t sure where to start this thread but do any of you have any recommendations on a simple policy for professional liability. I do some side work, maybe 20-30k per year revenue that I want to cover myself for. I just started an LLC to run it through and want a good policy. Wasn’t sure if there was a simple online place people use or just start calling around local insurance agencies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see any billings limit. Coverage $1M, deductible $2k

There are several exclusions:
condos/townhouses
Amusement rides/parks
bridges and tunnels
nuclear, petro, chemical, mines (and other stuff like that)
convention centers
parking structures
pre-engineered buildings
Pools
Agriculture

Not sure why agriculture or pools are excluded.

"I went to Next and they basically said sorry as soon as I said I was a structural."

Interesting, maybe it depends on the state? I am licensed in California.
My insurance says State National, administered by Next.

I also have a DIY campervan and the ability to get full coverage on those depends on the state.

Honestly, if you are paying $60 per month for E&O insurance, I would question whether they would actually pay out a claim. There is NO WAY they can make any money at that rate.

Check with ASCE. They provide EO insurance through Pearl Insurance. They make you become an ASCE member to get the insurance but you get the membership for 50% off (you can get a quote first without becoming a member). I branched off on my own earlier this year and they were the cheapest I found after shopping around.

In response to the other poster about GL insurance, I recently had to get it added on to my EO policy. An architect required it along with auto insurance for a city project. I tried to tell them I didn't need it but they told me it was required for the project. In the end it was very cheap to add it so I did to keep the project.

My insurance is through Admiral. I do a lot of condo work, but mostly forensics so liability is lower. Premium is about $12k per year for $1 mil policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back