Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

e-drawings file extension issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGonzo

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2003
US
First I want to say thanks to all the great information provided for my questions. Sorry I haven't contributed any answers.

We use SW2003Office Professional, e-drawings (I believe should be 2003SP03). This might not be true for the other machines, but it is on my machine.

We are having an issue with E-Drawings. On some machines at work we are unable to open any e-drawings file by double clicking them. We can open e-drawings and then open the file. There seems to be some confusion on Windows' part as to what program correlates to the file extension.

I personally have not investigated the problem on the machine, but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and what was done. I have seen nothing on the web related to this so it leads me to believe it is an isolated event. I'm thinking something probably related to the installation of the software (i.e. there was a virus scanner running during install).

Any help is appreciated.

Dr. Gonzo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DrGonzo,

Are you using Win XP and saving the files as the default extension (ie: NOT and EXE or EX_)?

If so, you ought to be able to right-click the file in the Windows Explorer, and choose "Open With..." (NOTE: If "Open With" has a fly-out arrow, fly it out and choose "Choose Program").

You should have a list of a bunch of programs, so find eDraings in there and select it, click the box below the list that says "Always use selected program..."

Should work. Win2000 is sort of the same, but I don't have my Win2000 box up right now.

Mr. Pickles

DetroitPickles,
It is running on Win2000 Professional. I've tried to use the open with command with it and it didn't work. I've never really seen anything like it. I was thinking someone has seen a link to this like it was a common problem or something I was just missing. I am almost convince it is an install problem, but I could be wrong, wouldn't be a first :)

I would normally just reinstall it and see what happens, but not my machine. I've got to get our sales staff up and running with it smoothly, so I was trying to see if this was something I was going to have to address or not.

Thanks,
Dr. Gonzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back