Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

E-Glass Vinylester Resin Peel Strength 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEDesignEngineer

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2011
AU
I am currently investigating the peel strength of E-Glass & Vinylester resin secondary bonding. The secondary bonding is 2 x DB-E600 @ ±45°. Would anyone have any data or be prepared to share their experience?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An odd suggestion, but you can contact CalTrans Office of Earthquake Engineering. They specify E-glass for their column wrap retrofiting so they are familiar. And they are a public service so you know they aren't too busy :)

Sorry i have no experience with E-glass just letting you know

Just try to help, we have deep experience in polyester and vinilyester: to make it precise: you need the "adhesive" properties between E-glass & vinilester and DB-600 which are not familiar with. what is DB-600 and do you require shear strength properties or tensile strength?

DBE600 seems to be ±45° NCF e-glass. Is it in combination with a vinyl ester matrix? For a secondary bond a separate adhesive is needed to join together two substrates. If your substrates are DBE600 vinyl ester, what is the vinyl ester matrix resin and what is the adhesive used for the secondary bond?

Hi and thanks for your comments. The secondary bonding is between a bulkhead and sandwich panel. The R10 fillet between the bulkhead and panel is a product called tuffstick. After the fillet is cured the secondary bonding is applied by hand consolidation. The bonding laminate laps 50mm onto each component. The resin system is Swancor 905.

BEDesignEngineer (Mechanical)
In a situation like this where no data is readily forthcoming, you may be better off doing your own tests, and compiling your own data base.
I am presuming that since you are using Swancor resin, that you are in Australia or the far east somewhere.
I am posting a link to a climbing drum test fixture made in the USA , that you can use for peel tests, or that you can use to see if you can find a similar machine where you live.

B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back