Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E.O.T. cranes -Standards for inspection of lifting devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

reliaengr

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2003
US
Electric Overhead Traveling (E.O.T.) cranes- What are the minimum standards for non-destructive testing & inspection of lifting devices (i.e. crane hooks, c-hooks, coil grabs, etc.)and what are these tests (ASTM, OSHA, etc.)? How frequently must these tests be performed (semi-annually, yearly)?

Thanks in Advance,
Reliaengr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good reference for you is the NASA Standard for Lifting Devices and Equipment. It 'should' be available via a search from nasa.gov website ... Look for " NASA-STD-8719.9 " Although this applies directly only to NASA and it's contractors, all of the OSHA, ANSI, ASME documents are referenced - and there are many. It's a good compilation but you might need to consult the referenced documents to get the whole story.

OSHA will direct you to the ANSI documents. Check the ANSI website for the regulations for your particular lifting device.
You have to satisfy the ANSI Rules.

OSHA requires daily, monthly and annual inspection unless stricter inspection is required by the crane manufacturer. The Crane Institute (do a web search) is a good source to obtain inspection forms, training and literature from.

I have the hooks and other items MT whenever I have an NDE technician in that shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back