Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EAGLE CAD Solid Round Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlightSim

Electrical
Nov 19, 2013
GB
Hi I'm trying to create an Solid Round Pads to take a SMD 6-Position Connector with round pins with PCB Teriminations. I see pads but that has a drill size in properties and there's no option to turn the drill size off or set it to 0. Thanks Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also for my design I've got a 12-position interface connector on the PCB which then routes to a circular pattern for 12 drill holes with pads to solder wires to in order to route signal lines for a flying lead. For the connector I'm using I have 3x 22 AWG wires for Postive supply and another 3 for the gnd/return. I was going to cluster each 3 together and merge them together. What feature could I use in Eagle cad to merge each 3 pads together neatly. Thanks Paul

2) In your schematic make sure your common pins are tied together.
In the layout you can use a Polygon to surround these "common" pins. You will need to have them all be members of that PLANE. So name the PLANE something appropriate and surround your pins. You will see the pins all excluded until you name them the same signal as the plane. When you do they merge with the plane.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Hi Keith thanks for that, got a little stuck when it wouldn't except just putting in one value for the size i.e. Smd Size 0.066. But then I just entered it as Smd Size 0.066 x 0.066 and that was accepted, then I got my round Pad I wanted.

Just have to do the second bit when I get to that stage.

Thanks Paul

Hi, I've made up my custom connectors. Then I've made up my schematic, which includes a buffer chip. But when I go to board view I don't see any air wires between anything. Not usre if there something to make them show or I've done something incorretly with layers or something for things not to be connected. Thanks Paul

Hi Keith, managed to fix it, I'd changed the grid fromt the defaut 0.1 in both symbol and package when I created my custom devices and it didn't like it when I connected them together. Fixed any way after I redesign my devices with the default grid. I'm just doing the routing now, for defining the net classes it has name, width, drill and clearance, is the drill for through-hole compoents and not relevant if its all SMD. thanks Paul

With the routing I've connected between the top and bottom layer with vias for some signal lines where I've had to route this way due to cross-overs. Some of these where to SMD on the top layer of the board for a 6-position connector. Can I tap in right at the pin so that the top and bottom layer are connected through both layers of the board. I tried to use pad but it has a spec for drill if I go into info and I can't enter zero so there's no drill. How do I do this in Eagle CAD? Thanks Paul

Hi,instead I've moved my SMD device to the bottom layer by clicking move, then switching to the bottom layer which I think is the equivalent of mirroing. And Managed to link my via's to the GND Plane by renaming to GND. almost finishded, but when I print on a 1 to 1 scale I checked to see if my chip SN74LVC1G07DCKR FARNELL 128-544 would fit, it looks like the chip is a little big for the foot print. This part was taken from the Teaxas Insturments Library. On the prototype board ROTH ELEKTRONIK - RE1510-LF - ADAPTACK, SOT323 ADAPTOR 1837395 it fits well? I was trying to check the PADs on the data sheet with this device in EAGLE but I couldn't find how to open this device to look at the package/pads. Thanks Paul

Thanks, I'm now looking at a SN74LVC1G06DCKT Chip, I was recommended to use a SOT23 Package as this was going to be a hand solder job and the package already assigned would be very difficult. I've looked at the data sheet and Eagle Packages but am unsure of what the correct package to use is and where to get this if its not in the library. Thanks Paul

Look at the package on the data sheet. They often include a "recommended footprint". Then you make your own "package", "symbol", and then mate them as a "device". If you do that, you know your resulting part is good. The stuff in the given libraries is sketchy. Some are very good, most are mediocre, and some are horrid. The book shows nicely -in detail- how to build a Device.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back