Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earth-scraper in Mexico 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that the structures in Dubai were built doesn't mean they are not follies. As engineers, we have as much right to our opinions of folly as anyone else.

hokie -

By follies, I was referring to initial economic development without recognizing the engineering.

I stayed at the "7 star" hotel, but had to share a room with a friend from Kuwait that got us in. Fortunately, I was his guest and his firm picked up the $2500 room..

I was at the 3/4 point of the construction of the tower and there were engineers everywhere and fortunately most spoke English/British but was very professional to get the high strength concrete up that high on a 24/7 project.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

Well, it's an interesting idea, but I can't help but to think that the Architect's brother-in-law is a waterproofer.

"We shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us." -WSC

Another issue is that Mexico City has a massive problem with air pollution and inversion layers. This will be one dingy, dirty, smelly hole in less than a year. You may be able to ventilate the interior spaces, (with sloped shafts?), but getting air movement in the "open" air? That will not be pleasant. Every third or fourth floor of the "glass facade", will be louvered "fresh air" intakes. I agree it is an interesting concept. But I also agree that the physical and engineering problems may prove insurmountable. Especially in this location.
Regards,
EEJaime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back