Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

earthquake analysis time scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalaD

Civil/Environmental
Feb 21, 2017
FR
Hello
I want to perform a dynamic-explicit analysis in order to see the response of a structure Under a real seismic loading(acc or disp) but the total time of the loading is 38 sec and it will be a time consuming mention that I can't increase a lot the size of the elements. Is there a practical way to sqweeze the loading time with conserving the structure response? it's important since these simulations will be compared with real shaking table tests.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see a chance. When the mesh is fix, then one can use load scaling or mass scaling to reduce the run time. Both will change the result, when the behavior is dynamic.

Do you have to use Explicit? What about linear or nonlinear transient dynamic in Standard?

I used rigid bodies for the slab in order to reduce the number of elements and the time of the simulations and it's work.

Plz can you explain the difference between explicit and transient dynamic in Standard and which Step should I use?

Thank you

The difference between implicit/explicit dynamics is described in detail in in the Abaqus Analysis User's Guide.

See section 6.3.1 Dynamic analysis procedures: overview.

I agree with Mustaine3, in my experience you very rarely need to use an explicit method in a seismic analysis. It seems you are trying to model a building, in which case it is really unusual; is there something special about it?

I know the difference between implicit and explicit, and the transient method can be used in the both methods by changing the parameters, I thougth that there is other special options in Abaqus.
Implicit method it's a memory consuming I can't use it.
At this moment it's a simple stucture of 1 floor, I am tying to performs simulations of a real earthquake motion where 38 sec is its total duration.
Thank you all

I would be really surprised if memory is causing you problems with running an implicit analysis. Can you clarify what type of a structure it is, how many elements / degrees of freedom you have, how big are your elements, are you doing a linear or a non-linear analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back