Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earthquake engineering for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek671

Structural
Dec 7, 2012
GB
Hi guys,

I'm currently a fairly experienced structural engineer (5 years) from the UK, but I have been giving consideration to moving to New Zealand for a while. Obviously this will bring about a significant change in design codes for me, but I think the biggest thing will be the need for earthquake engineering.

I haven't done any earthquake related design since Uni, and even then it was fairly basic. Can anyone recommend me any good textbooks where I can start to get a grasp of this subject? I need to get a fairly good first principle grasp on it before I would consider working as an engineering in NZ.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like the Seismic Design Handbook by Farzad Naiem. Is geared towards US engineers and codes, but the fundamentals are still good. Is really good about stepping through things and explaining them. Wish my University had used this text instead of the one they did for Earthquake Engineering. I got a lot of the basic information and concepts but almost zero in terms of actually applying the knowledge. This text provides both.

I second the handbook by Naiem and also suggest that texts by Park and Pauly will also be beneficial especially to those in New Zealand. Park and Pauly have the staple written on both Masonry and Concrete for seismic loading.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Seismic Design Hanbook is good, but the portions of it that relate to building codes is getting a bit out of date:

AISC's Seismic design manual is good (though many will complain about too main typos in the first printing). You might wait for the 2nd edition manual to come out. I believe it is coming out within the next few months.

I also like this article from Structure magazine. Specifically, figure 1 does a great job explaining the basic concept of why we have three variables (R, Omega, Cd) to define the seismic behavior. In this case, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back