Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earthwork Equipment Capacities

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdunck

Civil/Environmental
Apr 2, 2003
US
Does anyone know if the rated capacities of a Caterpillar 621F and D300E are theoritical, based on the actual volume of the bowl or dump or do they take into account the loose (uncompacted) nature of the material being hauled? If they are theoritical does anyone have a factor to use to approximate the uncompacted volume?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the Caterpillar handbook, the rated volumetric capacity (struck) is the actual volume of the bowl or dump box. The heaped volume is the bowl or box itself plus the volume of a pile on top at a slope of 2:1.
The rated mass load is based on how much the vehicle is able ot carry without exceeding the maximum gross vehicle weight and therefore stepping outside it's rated brake safety certification.
Depending on the density of the material going into the bowl, either the volume or the mass could end up being the limiting factor to how much the scraper or truck is able to carry.

Mabn is right. If I want to be conservative in fleet sizing, I will use 90% of the 2:1 capactiy, but I have often found the the equipment capacity is even more the the rated volume capacity. Be sure to check the material weights, and not overload the equipment based on weight capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back