Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

easy question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For what it's worth...

My old ANSI Y14.1-1980 only appears to reference Y14.2M-1979.

My Y14.5M-1994 does reference Y14.1.

ASME Y14.100 - the top level drawing spec - references both.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

ASME Y14.1M-2005 includes the following:

ASME Y14.1M-2005 said:
1.4 Applicable Documents
The following documents form a part of this Standard to the extent specified herein. Unless otherwise indicated, the latest edition shall apply.
ASME Y14.1, Decimal Inch Drawing Sheet Size and Format
ASME Y14.2M, Line Conventions and Lettering
ASME Y14.3M, Multiview and Sectional View Drawings
ASME Y14.5M, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
[...]

Yes I should. But I don't have a copy of Y14.1M and am trying to get away without buying one. Or more accurately, trying to talk the higher ups into the fact that they need to buy one.

Both Y14.1M and Y14.5 are part of the Y14.100 family of drawing standards, and the scope of Y14.5M-2005 explicitly states, "For engineering drawing preparation and practices, see ASME Y14.100." So the phrase "to the extent specified herein" can be taken to mean that Y14.1M is to be used in conjunction with Y14.100 and all of its referenced standards where/when they apply (such as Y14.5M for dimensioning and tolerancing).

If you want to be more literal regarding "specified herein", then note that Y14.1M-2005 only directly mentions Y14.5M in one other place:
ASME Y14.1M-2005 said:
8.2 Dimensioning and Tolerancing Block
Information relative to dimensioning and tolerancing, such as angular and dimensional tolerances, are given in this block. See Fig 13. Reference to ASME Y14.5M may be included in this block. When used, the block shall be in the title block area.

And the mentioned Fig 13 shows an example of a tolerance block that includes:
Fig 13 said:
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIM ARE IN MILLIMETERS
TOL ON ANGLES ±.XX°
0 PLACE ±X 1 PLACE ±.X
INTERPRET DIM AND TOL
PER ASME Y14.5M-1994

But it sounds to me that you already have Y14.5-2009 (or the previous Y14.5M-1994), so the better question would be to what extend Y14.5 specifies Y14.1M. Checking, ASME Y14.5-2009, I could only find two explicit references Y14.1/Y14.1M. The first is in its list of cited refernces (at 1.2.1), and the second is:
ASME Y14.5-2009 said:
1.4 FUNDAMENTAL RULES
Dimensioning and tolerancing shall clearly define engineering intent and shall conform to the following.
(a) Each dimension shall have a tolerance, except for those dimensions specifically identified as reference, maximum, minimum, or stock (commercial stock size). The tolerance may be applied directly to the dimension (or indirectly in the case of basic dimensions), indicated by a general note, or located in a supplementary block of the drawing format. See ASME Y14.1 and ASME Y14.1M.

So if you're trying to get authorization to purchase Y14.1M, then you should first look and see what your company drafting standard states. Does it specify Y14.100 as the overarching standard? If yes, does it explicitly exclude Y14.1M? Because if not, then your standard implied that you follow Y14.1M for metric sheet sizes, so how can you follow your own drafting standard if you do not have copies of the applicable standards that it invokes?

And if your company drafting standard does not specify Y14.100, then does it do an adequate job of specifying the metric sheet sizes and formats that you do use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back