Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Easy question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT-1995

Structural
Sep 26, 2022
US
The company I work for has recently been licensed (COA) in Louisiana. I carry the NCPE. Can anyone confirm there is no COA STAMP required on the design drawings?

I have looked at the Louisiana rules and I do not see a COA stamp definition, nor do I see a LA COA stamp on any of the stamp vendor web pages. So I am thinking LA does not require a COA Stamp on the documents. That surprised me, but as I look into it, not requiring a COA seal may not be that rare.

That then begs a more difficult question maybe. If I seal a drawing with my NC PE am I still covered by the companies E&O?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think only a few states even have CoA stamps and I have no idea when they are actually used/ required. I remember seeing a few on engineerseals.com when I ordered my PE stamps recently.

How are you sealing a Louisiana document with a NC PE?

I've been registered in LA for quite some time, though I've sealed just a few projects. I'm also the "supervising professional". I don't recall a CoA stamp being required.

As far as using a North Carolina seal in LA, I suppose you can apply the seal, but it would be meaningless. You need to be registered in LA to offer professional engineering services in LA. If you are not, then you are probably violating both State statutes and most PE organizations' ethical guidelines.

jerseyshore said:
How are you sealing a Louisiana document with a NC PE?

whoops, I am chasing similar COA ad PE in NC so I guess I have NC on the brain. I am sealing LA with LA PE...sorry about that.I have made this completely confusing.

LAPE will be on drawings, and I am planning on not affixing a info regarding the LA COA.

thanks...have a better day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back