Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ECC-IV BOO sensor on Lincoln Continental 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestwin

Electrical
Jan 4, 2004
US
I am searching for information on the BOO sensor on my Lincoln. I have several shop manuals,etc., but haven't been able to locate any definitive information on where it is located and how to change it. It keeps putting out a code that it is defective. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a Ford Scorpio 2li 1985 model.
It was one of the first Fords with the EEC-IV engine control.
The rear brake pads have been wearing down many times the rate of the front pads for years. Last year I replaced the switch under the brake pedal arm. Suspected malfunction. The switch closed/opened while pushing it sideways only. Too much free play sideways. Assume the switch gives input to both the EEC-IV and the Anti Blocking System.
In my 1985 Scorpio there is no interaction between the EEC-IV engine control and the ABS system. But they most likely share a common input. At least the switch gives a signal to your EEC-IV and the brake lights.
I do not know your Lincoln. But would suggest that you look under the brake pedal arm.
My switch can be replaced by turning it 90 deg. There is a procedure for getting it into the right place/level.
I have never read the fault codes from the EEC-IV. Borrowed some testing equipment, but had problems finding the right connector - pre 1993. I have not yet checked if the replacement have had any effect on the rear brake pads wear.
As a Norwegian model 1944, in early childhood I learned about one great sin. That was to use the brakes when going downhill. Loosing the brake effect can be disasterous. The grown ups always referred to the need to shifting down during downhill. Horror stories about foreigners from "flat" countries (Denmark etc) that lost their brakes touring the West Coast florished.
My Ford Consul 2l model 1973 (German made, like the Scorpio)hardly never wore rear brake bands at all.
I still use brakes mainly to stop.
So I use this opportunity to hear if any one has similar experiance with excessive wear of rear brake pads. And if there is a connection between this and the switch in question.

Thanks to both of you. I thought that it was located on the brake pedal, but my husband didn't agree with me! We were concerned that it would effect the air-ride's computer controls, which are acting up! Hopefully if we get a few warm days, we can check it out and see if that helps with the BIG problem! [sunshine];)

Talking about sins. For the record:
As most might have understood a "NOT" was left out in a sentence in my answer of Jan. 7th 2004.
Although not important to the main question, the correct statement is:
"That was NOT to use the brakes when going downhill."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back