Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eccentric reducer on pressure vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

vessexst

Mechanical
May 18, 2019
PK
Hi all,

I am designing a vertical vessel.

Design P = 150 Psig
Design temp = 150 Deg C
MOC = SA 516 70N

There are two shells of ID 36" and 30". These two are connected via an eccentric reducer. I need to put two stiffener rings at both the large and small ends in order to satisfy reinforcement requirements as per App. 1-5 and UG 36.

However, the maximum that I can locate both these rings is 13 mm (each for ring of small end and large end for respective shell CS seams)

Since this is very near to shell seams, I think of doing a full RT of these welds. But, then again, the welds are not overlapping but just close to one another. Is it possible to conduct full RT in this case?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vessexst said:
However, the maximum that I can locate both these rings is 13 mm...

Don't know how to interpret this statement.

Is it possible to conduct full RT in this case?

After the rings are attached it might be difficult, but before, easy.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

It is just that weld seam to seam distance is vsry less

However, this is the max distance permitted by ASME. If anyone has a similar experience, kindly tell.

@r6155: Actually, I am doing it on PV ELITE. It takes UG 36 and App 1-5 as its basis. But, is there anything ASME specifies in case of close distance welding?

vessexst, Code does not address this to my knowledge, so:

1) make your circ seams, inspect as desired. RT, etc.

2) Attach stiffening rings. Inspect as desired. Visual, MT, etc.

3) Get on with life :)

Not an ideal situation, but not uncommon either.

vessexst, you might want to confirm the PVE calc. I seem to remember Codecalc was troublesome for eccentric reducers...

@r6155: The reinforcement is required under external pressure in order to satisfy the required moment of inertia requirements. The available moment of inertia without stiffeners is less.

@snTman: I have actually also done manual calcuations. I did not see any discrepancy between PV Elite and ASME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back