Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eccentric shear on bolt group connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yakpol

Structural
Jun 1, 2001
CA
Hi, everybody!

I just completed the MS Excel spreadsheet calculating bolt group ultimate shear capacity according to LRFD 2nd Edition. I checked it against the tables and ... they match! I cannot attach the file, but you can find it on my website I tried to make this spreadsheet as simple and friendly as possible.
The weld group connection is due in the middle of june!

Cheers,

Yakov

Hello Yakov,

I have tried to get to your homepage 'http:\\yakpol.net' to have a look at your spread sheet, but it seems like it is not existing. Is the path you have written, see above, correct?

An interested fellow member.

Cheers,

Eriksen

Server sometimes has problems, I guess... The site is accessible now. Thanks for the interest!

Thank you all for the tips, yes it works now.
The sheet is beautifull!

Cheers,

Eriksen

HI Yakov,

found this web site when I searched for +bolts +eccentric +connection.
I have used the same method of finding the ultimate joint capability using LOTUS 123 many years ago.
The input to the program was more complicated. Not only did we had to use various fastener sizes, also the minimum thicknesses at each bolt location was different, furthermore fasteners could be bearing or shear critical. In regard to applied loads a could be input besides the vertical and horizontal shear load (partial fixed end moments on a beam !).
The convertion from LOTUS 123 to Excel was never completed. Therefore I am very interested in your spreadsheet. Unfortunately I am getting an error message that the solver add-in is not available. But other programms (i.e. diagonal tension shear beam analysis) using this add-in are running fine.

Any idea what the problem could be ?

Greetings from the North-West of the USA

Fritz-Gunther

gunther,
Thanks for the complitments... Are you getting an error message from Excel or from boltgroup? The last time I ran boltgroup on Excel 2000 it worked fine. Check if Solver library is still check marked in VBA-tools-references. Try to run original file as is, if you still getting error message sent me the file: yakpol@hotmail.com

That's a pretty slick spreadshit, Yakov. One problem... When I run the program with one vertical line of bolts, it gives an error message if there are an odd number of rows of bolts (3, 5, 7, etc.). The error message says that the solver add-in is not installed. However, solver is installed and the program works fine if there are an even number of rows. Do you have a fix for this problem?

Taro,
The message about Solver maybe at false... As I see the number of rows of bolts should not make any difference. Be sure you are using the latest download and if still having the same problem send me a file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back