Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eclipse Switchgear Bus Bar Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndwade

Electrical
Mar 26, 2009
BM
Good Day,

I'm working on a project where the manual speaks to installing single busbars on the "rearest most connection point".

The busbar connections can take two busbars but based on our 1250 amperage for Hawker Seedly Eclipse gear we only need one per phase.

My questions pertains to improper installation and whether it matters if the busbars are placed on the front side of the busbar connector rather than the rear of the connector as stated in the manual.

My goal is to justify moving the busbars based on manufacturer recommendation.

I have reached out to the manufacturer for an explaination but wanted to hear of any reasons my fellow engineers might see for this stipulation.

Many Thanks,
Ndwade

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

Well on the face of it I don't think it matters however if the client wants to increase the busbar rating at a later date would assembling the first busbar in the wrong place make it difficult to add a second bar.
Another thought would be with the busbar in the wrong position initially does that cause any clearance issues or assembly problems when the busbar extends into the adjacent switch panel.
Finally how about the temperature rise of the switchgear, there type testing for a single busbar would contradict what your proposing.
Really it's the switch gear manufacturer that needs to answer these questions as you rightly said in your post.

You really need to follow the manufacturers guidance. I have always found HSS very helpful when I've dealt with them. One of the issues I can think of, which would be of concern to me, is that the short circuit testing for the 1250A switchgear may have been carried out with the bar in the rear position only. It might not have been tested with it in the front position. Only HSS can answer the question as to whether it matters.

Regards
Marmite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back