Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ECN Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblcrona

Mechanical
May 29, 2002
US
We are looking to redesign our manual ECN process. Can anyone recommend any good ECN software packages?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How complex do you want to get?
Simple ECN release tracking or full CMII tracking from initial problem report through engineering and out the door ECN.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

It sounds like you'll have to look into purchasing some sort of PDM/PLM package as Kenat posted, or an ERP system with Work Flow capability for tracking the ENC process.

Syspro
Agile
PDXpert
SAP R3
Too many others...

You may want to read about some pitfalls to avoid as well. Also, some further information on the types of products and industry will help us. What is your budget?

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

What CAD software does your company use? You will get the best and easiest integration from the same vendor.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

In the past I have setup this up using lotus notes. It will take a programmer but it will be a very good ECR/ECN system if designed correctly. Ours integrated AutoCad docs and did automatic notifications and reminders.

If you are looking for something in between a full blown MRP system and an Excel spreadsheet template, I highly recommend checking out a software package called "Parts & Vendor ECO Edition" ( I have used it in several small companies (under 50 people) and it works great.

It does not tie into your accounting software directly, but it does track your parts and vendors, manage your BOMs, automate component and assembly revision control, generate purchase orders,etc. I have used it from both the designer side and management side and it's a great little software package.

The ECO version has everything you are looking for and it's very simple to use.
sreco.gif
It's moderately priced ($350-$450 per user license, depending on how many you get)and pretty easy to implement from scratch. It also pretty straight forward to import your current data and get started.

I am in no way affiliated with Trilogy Design, but I do appreciate a good tool when I find one.

Check it out and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back