Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ECU firmware edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaber26111

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2013
EG
Dear every body
Glad to post here in This heavy informatoons forum and hope i get help and add to everyobe experience here.

Well. I have ecu. Firmware which i need to edit and configure, in othet words customize.by locking it " so its hard to configure or customise later niether downloaded ". And disable some commands , " about two commands".

All what i have is binary code. I need to know how i open It to be able to custumize
According to my purpose.

Im more familiar with hex files programming and edit and uploading to microcontroolers, same with arduino codes. But this binary code i have no idea. Can you tell which combiler or software used for the ecu. Programming, edit, or source code custumize?

Will appreciate your help.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Binary code and hex are essentially the same, just organized as chunks of 4 bits of binary. However, unless you can identify the processor, decoding will be nearly impossible. You'd be better off finding a user forum for your car and asking there. Modders probably have already broken the code for your car.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Ten plus years ago, Ford was using a slightly modified Intel 8096. The internet was not quite awash with port maps, schematics, and disassembled code for each of at least ten Ford part numbers. The regular Intel 8096 toolchain was alleged to work okay on it.

If you can find the right toolchain for your ecu, it should be possible to dump it, figure out the portmap, disassemble the code, reassemble your modified code and reload it.

Belay that; it _used_to_be_ possible to do that.

Now, the car guys might be using really odd custom chips, because they can afford it, and the code may be protected and very difficult to dump, let alone reload.

I'm not sure what third party chip/program vendors are doing these days. Maybe they pay the extortionate prices for dealer hardware, maybe they use commercial tools.

I get the impression that some add-ons work with an unmodified ecu, by means of a man-in-the-middle attack, i.e. they intercept and modify some inputs to the ecu in order to adjust some of the ecu's outputs, based on its known behaviors, while being careful to not interfere with its self-tests of the vehicle systems.

I have not hacked ecus specifically, but I have worked with similarly deeply embedded microcontrollers.

I'd expect to spend about three man-years and several tens of thousands of dollars to do what you want to do, so if someone is already selling a chip or a roach that does what you want, that would be much cheaper for just a few units.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

You need to give info on the ECU. Make, age, p/n etc.

Pre OBDII is well hacked for quite a few platforms. Post OBDII has some hacks.

The manufacturers must create software documents for their ECU so they know what it's doing. So, there is a document that outlines all the variables to adjust various functions the ECU controls. The tuning software companies buy these documents from the OEM vs trying to reverse engineer the ECU. It would be next to impossible for a relatively small company to keep up with the OEM ECU coding via reverse engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back