Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eddy Current Test Acceptance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnTMan

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2005
US
Hello All, I need to specify eddy current testing on SA-249-304 tubing. I planned to specify E-213, but it apparently contains no acceptance criteria.

Is it necessary to specify acceptance criteria, and if so, what might be customarily used?

Does one of the other eddy current practices contain acceptance criteria, that I may use instead of E-213?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ed, thanks, I'll review and decide on one or the other. Maybe I should look at the tube quote too:)

Regards and thanks again,

Mike

Mike,
Also E309 is commonly used as an eddy test method, with either of the following defects as the referenced standard:
1-A transverse notch up to 12.5% of wall
2-A drilled hole (up to 3 holes)
3-A longitudinal notch up to 12.5% of wall.

-Tom

I have always preferred using a single drilled hole and require that it be run in four positions to verify calibration.
I also use holes rather than notches because it is easy to verify the size of the holes (I own some small pin gages). Notches have to EDM machined and the replicated to get measurements.

You don't need to specify an ET E spec. If you look at A249 it calls out A1016. And A1016 lists E309 and E426 as test methods.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

EdStainless, excellent information here. i too am doing some eddy current testing, (rookie)
i am getting some conflicting information, spec e 309 says what it says about notches in the tubing and holes. i have been told by the eddy current maching manufacturer that if i have a second channel (absolute) on the machine i will have to mill a notch thru the tubing, e 309 says the notch is to be a percentage of the wall thickness...?? so which one is it?
Thank you, yes a269,a270 tubing

E309 is very general.
If you are going to run bot differential and absolute, you need to decide what you are looking for with the absolute channel. The tubing spec will tell you what to use for ref std in the diff test.
There are a number of ways to use the absolute channel, though I have always like using two differential channels at different frequencies in order to get a better picture of the indication types.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

EdStainless
thanks again. per spec e309, the testing should be for wall thickness only. (correct me if i am wrong) so with the absolute test i would be looking for thin wall conditions.
so can i look for this condition with a thru notch or do i need a milled notch not all the way thru the tubing..??

Just to close my part of this I did look at the tube quote, of course there is nothing there:), and re-read SA-249 which invokes SA-1016, which pretty much settles the issue. Thanks Ed and others.

Mike

I know you do; I hope you could see the tongue in my cheek. I've read SA-249 myself and don't recommend it to the casual reader. But then too, I had a payday involved when I did it.

rmw

"I know you do; I hope you could see the tongue in my cheek."

Be assured I did. BTW, I didn't mean to imply I read the WHOLE THING at one sitting, just what I needed:)

Edstainless
does your company do its own mechanical tests on the tubing?
if so did you get these tests or procedures certified by someone?
thanx again for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back